Patients Treated at 5-Star Hospitals are 63% Less Likely to Experience Complications
Northampton, Mass. (October 18, 2011) – A report released today by HealthGrades, the nation’s most trusted, independent source of physician information and hospital quality ratings, named Cooley Dickinson Hospital #1 in Massachusetts for Joint Replacement outcomes (joint replacement includes knee and hip replacements). Choosing a hospital can be a life or death decision. HealthGrades report found that patients treated at 5-star rated hospitals experience a 73% lower risk of mortality and a 63% lower risk of complications compared to 1-star rated hospitals. A quality comparison of doctors and hospitals in the Springfield, Massachusetts, area can be found online at HealthGrades.com [topcities.healthgrades.com/ratings/springfield-ma].
Earlier this year, Cooley Dickinson was also recognized by HealthGrades for being in the top 5% in the nation for patient safety. Cooley is the only hospital in the greater Springfield region to have achieved the award for 3 consecutive years.
"Achieving the best outcomes in Massachusetts for Joint Replacement is the culmination of the steps our doctors, nurses, allied health professionals, and staff have taken ever since our dedicated Joint Replacement Center opened to ensure that our patients gain the improved quality of life and other benefits that joint replacement bring," said Craig Melin, president/CEO of Cooley Dickinson. “While we’re pleased as a hospital to be recognized, the ultimate beneficiary of our quality efforts is our patients.”
“Patients today have a wide array options when it comes to choosing a healthcare provider,” said Kerry Hicks, HealthGrades chief executive officer. “At HealthGrades, we are proud to have led the way for empowering patient choice based on objective clinical outcomes and access to actionable quality measures. We commend Cooley Dickinson Hospital for its superior quality and support of consumerism and transparency in the Springfield area.”
Cooley Dickinson was also recognized for the following clinical achievements:
· Five-Star Rated for Treatment of Heart Attack for 8 Years in a Row (2005-2012)
· Five-Star Rated for Joint Replacement in 2012
· Five-Star Rated for Total Knee Replacement in 2012
· Five-Star Rated for Total Hip Replacement for 2 Years in a Row (2011-2012)
· Five-Star Rated for Appendectomy in 2012
· Ranked Among the Top 10 in MA for Gynecologic Surgery in 2011
· Five-Star Rated for Gynecologic Surgery in 2011
Key findings of the HealthGrades 2011 Healthcare Consumerism and Hospital Quality in America report include:
· Patients had, on average a 73% lower risk of dying in a 5-star rated hospital compared to a 1-star rated hospital, and a 54% lower risk of dying in a 5-star rated hospital compared to the national average.
· Patients had, on average, were 63% less likely to experience inhospital complications than patients at 1-star programs, and had a 43% lower chance of developing an inhospital complication than the national average.
· If all Medicare patients from 2008 through 2010 had been treated at 5-star hospitals, 240,040 lives could have potentially been saved.
· If all Medicare patients from 2008 through 2010 had gone to 5-star hospitals for their procedure, 164,472 inhospital complications could have potentially been avoided.
About Cooley Dickinson Hospital
Cooley Dickinson, a full-service community hospital, is ranked in the top 5 percent of all U.S. hospitals in patient safety by HealthGrades®, the country's leading independent health care ratings organization. It is the only hospital in the Springfield area to achieve the HealthGrades Patient Safety Excellence Award™ for three consecutive years. Cooley Dickinson, with a staff of 1,650 professionals and nearly 400 affiliated physicians, is a network of emergency, surgical, clinical, rehabilitative, hospice and home care expertise that collaborates with Massachusetts General Hospital to deliver comprehensive cancer care. Learn more at www.cooley-dickinson.org.
HealthGrades is America's most trusted, independent source of physician information and hospital quality outcomes. HealthGrades online properties are the nation's leading destination for physician search and empower more than 170 million consumers annually to make informed healthcare decisions.
Cooley Dickinson Hospital • 30 Locust St. (Route 9), Northampton, Mass. • (413) 582-2000