Step Up Diabetes Lifestyle Management Program
For people recently diagnosed with type 2 diabetes. Through structured exercise, nutrition and meal planning, behavioral support, and medication management, the Step Up Program helps participants gain and maintain healthy lifestyles. Contact us for dates and location.
Diabetes Basic Class Series
Teaches and reviews basic information for anyone with diabetes.
- Class One (2 hrs): Overview of diabetes, diabetes care and goal setting
- Class Two (2 hrs): Nutrition
- Class Three (2 hrs): Medications, preventing complications
- Class Four (1.5 hrs): Exercise, coping
- Follow-Up Refresher Class (1.5 hrs): Staying or getting back on track
Carbohydrate Counting & Insulin Adjustment Classes
For people using multiple daily insulin injections or insulin pumps.
- Class 1 (2 hrs): Carbohydrate Counting: Learn to use food labels, lists and on-line resources to count the carbs.
- Class 2 (2 hrs): Insulin Adjustment: Review the basics of insulin therapy, focusing on adjusting insulin doses.
- Class 3 (2 hrs): Advanced Carbohydrate Counting: Dig deeper into carbohydrate counting, spending most of the class practicing with counting the carbs in sample meals as well as determining the dose of insulin needed.
Insulin Pump Therapy Program
We provide individual and group education as well as support for insulin pump therapy.
Our program consists of:
Pre-pump Classes (2 hours each):
- Is insulin pump therapy right for you?
- Preparation for insulin pumping
Individualized Pump Start and Follow-up Visits
Advanced Pump Classes (2 hrs each):
- Site care, hospitalization, time off the pump and trouble-shooting
- Tweaking your basal rates and bolus doses
- Better bolusing and temporary basal rates
Pumpers Support Group - "Pumpers, Let's Get Together"
A support group for people with diabetes using insulin pumps meets quarterly from 6-7:30pm.
Support Group for Young Adults with Diabetes
A group of young adults with diabetes discussing issues around caring for themselves meets once a month from 6-7:30 pm.
Living Well With Diabetes
This is a free program with speakers who will address issues confronting people living with diabetes. Contact us to inquire about upcoming dates.
Wondering what you can eat? Join Registered Dietitian Cathy Bertinuson of Cooley Dickinson’s Center for Excellence in Diabetes Education to walk the aisles of Stop & Shop looking at labels, comparing products and figuring out how to put some meals together.
The program is free, but you must register in advance as tour size is limited. People living with diabetes and members of their families are encouraged to attend.
Individual Assessment and Follow-up
with Kelly Henry, Certified Pump Trainer
Medical Nutrition Therapy Assessment
with Registered Dietitian Cathy Bertinuson