Volunteering at a hospital is not like any other kind of opportunity. As a volunteer you must pass many of the same requirements as our staff. These requirements are established by The Joint Commission (TJC) as well as the Department of Public Health and the Center for Disease Control.
The process for becoming a volunteer may take a few weeks. To protect you as well as patients, the following information will need to be completed:
- Volunteer Application [PDF] or submit online
- An interview with the Volunteer Director
- Criminal Records check (CORI) form (completed at interview.)
- TB Screening. Two complete tests are required.
- A copy of your immunizations: Mumps, Rubella (German measles), Rubeola (measles), Chickenpox and Hepatitis B (if applicable). This information will be reviewed by the Employee Health office.
- Orientation (scheduled after TB is complete.)
A minimum of 40 hours over 6 months is requested for placement. Exceptions may be made for students or with the permission of the department.
You must be 15 or older to volunteer.
For College Students:
If you will receive academic credit for volunteering or internships, a separate application must be processed through the Volunteer and Student Services department. Prior approval by the department manager is required in advance of submitting an application. Please contact Robin Kline at 413-582-2251 or email Robin_Kline@cooley-dickinson.org for more information.