Programs and Classes
Step Up Diabetes Lifestyle Management Program
The Step Up program is for people recently diagnosed with pre-diabetes or type 2 diabetes, as well as those living with type 1 diabetes. Through structured exercise, nutrition and meal planning, behavioral support, and medication management, the Step Up Program helps participants gain and maintain healthy lifestyles. Contact us at 413-586-1601 for dates and location.
Diabetes Basic Class Series
The Diabetes Basic Class Series instructors teach and review basic information for anyone with diabetes.
- Class I (2 hrs): Overview of diabetes, diabetes care and goal setting
- Class II (2 hrs): Nutrition
- Class III (2 hrs): Medications, preventing complications
- Class IV (1.5 hrs): Exercise, coping
- Follow-Up Refresher Class(1.5 hrs): Staying or getting back on track
Insulin Pump Therapy Program
We provide individual and group education as well as support for insulin pump therapy, including individualized pump start and follow-up visits. The program consists of:
Diabetes Tech 101
- Is insulin pump therapy right for you? (2 hrs.)
- Preparation for insulin pumping (2 hrs.)
Advanced Pump Classes
- Site care, hospitalization, time off the pump and trouble-shooting (2 hrs.)
- Tweaking your basal (slow-acting insulin) rates and bolus (fast-acting insulin) doses (2 hrs.)
- Better bolusing and temporary basal rates
For more information about these classes, view the classes and events page or call 413-586-1601.
Cooking Class for People with Diabetes
Learn how to cook quick meals that are healthy and affordable, and that you will enjoy. This class is held monthly on the third Monday at 6 pm at The Baker’s Pin at 34 Bridge Street in Northampton (across from the post office). Registration is required and space is limited to 12 participants per class. Cost: $5 per person.
Living Well with Diabetes
This series is offered on the second Wednesday of each month. Speakers address issues that are common to people living with diabetes. Contact us at 413-586-1601 to inquire about upcoming dates.
Walk the aisles of Stop & Shop on these healthy food tours, in search of diabetic-friendly meal options. The program is free, but you must register in advance as tour size is limited. People living with diabetes and their families are encouraged to attend. Our certified diabetes educators conduct the tours in Northampton, Hadley, and Greenfield. View the classes and events page for dates and locations.
You can inquire about these services through the Cooley Dickinson Medical Group Diabetes Center:
- Individual assessment and follow-up sessions with diabetes educators and dieticians
- Medical nutrition therapy assessments with Diabetes Center registered dietitians